Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Braised Tofu With Green Onion

This is one of my family favorite vegetarian dishes.  It only has two main ingredients with few seasonings for braising.  Needless to say, this recipe is another one that is easy and simple to concoct when you don't have much time to cook.  My sister told me that she read somewhere in a Chinese newspaper saying that tofu should not be cooked with green onion.  It has to do with some kind of yin-yang energy balance in the body when the two ingredients are combined.  I have not heard from anybody else about it and we really love the taste and flavor of green onion tofu, so we still make this tofu whenever we have craving for it.  If I find out more concrete information about this issue, I will update this post accordingly.  In the meantime, my family will continue to cook and enjoy this simple and delicious dish.

braised tofu with green onion

Ingredients:
  • 1 package of firm tofu, diagonal cuts halfway deep so the tofu is still intact at the bottom
  • 5 stalks of green onion, cut into 1 1/4" in length
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce, I usually use Chinese dark soy sauce but any soy sauce will do
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 3 tbsp oil

Direction:
  1. Heat a wok, add the oil
  2. Add green onion, stir fry until fragrant (a few minutes)
  3. Add the water, soy sauce, & sugar 
  4. Add tofu, simmer on medium-low heat until the sauce is nearly evaporated (about 20-25 minutes or more).  I like to simmer it this long so you can really get the deepness of the overall flavor; of course, you can cook it shorter and the green onion still look nice and green but the taste is somewhat "shallow", I guess it depends on your preference
 Makes 6 serving (if you have other dishes to go with it)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...