Saturday, May 5, 2012

Homemade Roasted Almond

Nuts in general are good for you.  Almond is no exception, it is a rich source of Vitamin E & B, dietary fiber, essential minerals, and monounsaturated fat.  It also contains phytosterols which is linked to lowering cholesterol in our body.  Raw almonds retain the most nutritional values compare to roasted ones; however, roasted almonds taste better and crunchier, in my opinion, so I am sacrificing some nutritional elements in exchange for better taste, which is fine with me.  For convenient sake, usually I buy roasted almonds but when there is a good deal on raw almonds, I don't mind roasting them myself.  The following is my recipe:

Homemade roasted almond

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. raw shelled almonds
  • Olive oil , roughly 1/4 cup or so (more if you want)
  • Salt to taste (optional)

Direction:
  1. Preheat oven at 350 degree F (I use small toaster oven)
  2. Cover the cookie sheet with aluminum foil
  3. Spread the almonds on the cookie sheet
  4. Coat by hand or brush them with olive oil, make sure they are in single layer
  5. Bake for 15 minutes
  6. Remove pan from oven, sprinkle some salt (or other seasoning) and scramble the nuts around, place on cool surface to cool them down a bit before eating.  The nuts are not yet crunchy when they are still hot (temperature-wise).  Store in a jar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...