Sunday, April 22, 2012

Chayote Squash with Vermicelli Noodle

This is definitely a comfort food for me.  My mom was a great cook and she made this dish on a regular basis at home many years ago.  I never had the exact recipe from her so I made up my own, especially on the amount of ingredients but this recipe is very forgiven, no matter how much ingredient you use, it still tastes good, in my experience.  To label it as a Chinese or Indonesian dish is a toss up, I don't exactly know the origin of it, perhaps it is a Chinese-Indonesian home-cook dish.  I do not remember eating it in any Asian restaurants as far as I know.  Chayote squash is also popular in Mexican or South American cuisines.  Again, it is a simple and very easy to cook recipe.  My family loves it whenever I make this dish.

Chayote Squash with Vermicelli Noodle
  
Ingredients:
  •  about 3 tbsp of oil for sauteing, more if necessary
  • 3 clove garlic, crushed or minced 
  • 1/8 cup or a handful of dried small shrimps, soak to soften in water for 10 to 15 minutes, then drain the water
  • 1 tbsp of Chinese BBQ sauce (optional) - "Bullhead" brand normally use for dipping sauce for hot pot, found in Chinese markets 
  • 2 medium to large chayote squash, peel the skin and thin julienne cut
  • 2 bags (1.32 oz/37.5 g size bag) of Asian vermicelli, you can substitute with a medium size bag, found in Asian markets, I use the "Imperial Taste Lungkow" brand from China, beware: I was told there are a few imitation brands of this.  Soak the noodle until soft and drain the water
  • 3 to 4 eggs, scrambled and add a dash of salt & pepper
Chinese BBQ Sauce

Direction:
  1. Heat oil in a wok until hot
  2. Add garlic and dried small shrimps, stir for 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant
  3. Add Chinese BBQ sauce and stir for a few seconds
  4. Add chayote squash, stir fry until it is soft and tender, about 5 to 8 minutes perhaps
  5. Add the soaked and soft vermicelli noodle and stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes longer, mix well
  6. Finally, pour the scrambled egg evenly on the wok, don't stir it, leave the egg to set a little bit, then mix well, put into a serving plate, ready to serve, garnish with some chopped cilantro if you want (optional)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...